Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vegan Penance Gone Gourmet


I chose to become a vegan for health purposes (well mainly, plus I don't dig eating fear and sorrow vibes or food contaminated with human vomit, urine or rotted animal parts)...but sometimes life as a vegan is not so healthy. For instance today I had an eeeeeeny weeeeeny tiny carb binge.
It started with a Taste No Evil Muffin Company Cran Breakfast muffin, which is my favorite (well it was until the arrival of the Rustic Chocolate Cherry Muffin anyway). Its loaded with good stuff like bran, flax, apples and cranberries. Super good for you right? So why the guilt?

Well, I followed the muffin with a rather large portion of leftover pasta that was loaded with olives (not low fat), sun dried tomatoes, olive oil(also not low fat) and a bunch of other veggies....this was a TWO person size portion that I was SUPPOSED to share with Frank..but scarfed the whole thing myself. No worries, I'll skip lunch.

Speaking of lunch, about an hour and a half after the pasta binge, my sweetest friend Heather called and said she was down south..
"Are you hungry?" she asked, to which I replied...
"Perpetually." It's the unfortunate truth.

So heather arrived with and I ate a GIANT portion of Pei Wei Tofu Pad Thai. Ugh. and as if that weren't enough I followed it up with the aforementioned Rustic Chocolate Cherry Muffin.
Yum. . . Ouch.

Folks, I was raised Catholic ok? I am no stranger to guilt. But I have learned I don't need church to solve my way ward energies....and I don't need Hail Mary's to do penance. Now I have a kitchen!

While I shouldn't be making dinner at all, I had to. I HAD to get some veggies in me (Plus I wanted to feed Frank)! and some protien...Just a tiny bit... and I HAD to prepare food for tomorrow cause stopping at a muffin shop everyday and eating not just one but TWO (did I mention I actually have another back up Choc. Cherry waiting for me for dessert? so OK THREE) muffins a day is just not cool.
Tonight and tomorrow both I will be partaking in this ever so delightful Roasted Beet and Quinoa Salad with Lime and Balsamic Reduction. Penance never tasted so good, or gourmet!
Eat your heart out.
So I don't have to.
xo
Ella
PS. Ping me if you want the recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment